Thursday, July 17, 2008

Berry & Rhubarb Pie

After my produce delivery last week, I attempted to make a strawberry rhubarb pie. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough rhubarb for the filling so I needed to add some more berries. My pie soon became a strawberry, raspberry, rhubarb pie. All the fruit used in the recipe was from local farms. The berries were smaller and they go soft much more quickly than other berries I have bought in the past so you have to eat them fast or else they don't last. This pie was a great way to enjoy their flavour!

I admit I bought a store-made crust because I really didn't have time to make one from scratch. Forgive me! Use your favorite crust recipe when you make this pie.

Ingredients & Preparation: (loosely based on the original recipe from Bon Appetit, April 1997)
  • 3 1/2 cups 1/2-inch-thick slices trimmed local, organic rhubarb
  • 1 container local, organic strawberries, hulled, halved (about 2 1/2 cups)
  • 1 cup of local raspberries
  • 1/2 cup (packed) organic golden brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup organic sugar
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

To make the filling; preheat oven to 400°F. Combine first 8 ingredients in large bowl. Toss gently to blend. Fill up the pie shell and cover with second shell. Cut a little slit in the top to let steam escape. How easy is that!?

Transfer pie to baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Bake pie until golden and filling thickens, about another 25 minutes. Transfer pie to rack and cool completely.

No comments: