Thursday, July 17, 2008

Cheddar & Herb Buttermilk Biscuits


Our neighbours to the west side of our house are awesome! Their youngest son comes to our house during the day to let our dog out for a potty break and then takes her over to his house to play with their dog. I think our pup loves them a wee bit more than us now. You gotta love small town living where neighbours are neighbourly. To keep with that theme, I thought I'd bake them some biscuits as a small token of thanks.

The following recipe is similar to the one I used. I cannot find the one I used anywhere! What good is that? Really, I just wanted to tell you about my neighbours.

Ingredients & Preparation: (Recipe from Blogger "Pinch my Salt")

  • 2 C. flour (unbleached)
  • 2 t. baking powder
  • 1/2 t. baking soda
  • 1/2 t. mustard powder
  • 1 T. chopped fresh herbs or 1 t. dried* (I used fresh herbs, basil and chives,from my little garden box)
  • 4 T. butter
  • 1 C. shredded cheese (whatever kind you prefer but I used a local, sharp, old cheddar)
  • 3/4 C. sour cream (I used buttermilk)
  • 1/4 C. milk (I used 10% cream)

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, mustard powder and herbs.

3. Using a pastry blender or your fingers, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs and the pieces of butter are the size of peas. Stir in shredded cheese.

4. In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix together sour cream and milk. Add sour cream mixture to the dry mixture. Stir until just combined.

5. Turn dough out onto a well-floured counter and knead a few times with floured hands. Pat dough out with your hands to about one-inch thickness. Cut biscuits using a biscuit cutter or cut into desired shapes with a knife.

6. Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.

Serve warm with butter.

*You may use any combination of herbs you want. Try 1/2 T. fresh chives along with some dried herbs like 1/2 t. basil and 1/2 t. marjoram. The amounts listed are just guidelines. Experiment and have fun!

4 comments:

~Amber~ said...

Wow, these look delicious!!

Anonymous said...

mmm... yum!

Anonymous said...

I'm the neigbour and these biscuits were delicious. What a treat it was to receive this "gift" on our front porch when we came home late one night from an out of town baseball tournament.

I am going to ask for some pie next. I hear that's what's happening in the kitchen tonight!

Carrie said...

I have never read your blog before but you got some yummy looking recipes on here!

Carrie (www.carriessweetlife.com)