Saturday, July 11, 2009
A very simple and delicious way to make fish (and it keeps the smell out of the house!). You can use this method for a variety of fish and flavours.
Select your fish - a nice thick filet. Cut into personal sized portions. Place in centre of foil. Add the veggies and herbs/spices you would like...add some EVOO, salt & pepper. I also like to add either lime or lemon juice to fish. Wrap the fish into a little foil parcel. Place on the BBQ and grill for 12-15 minutes. When the fish is flaky it is done.
Last night I made cod filets with thin slices of fennel, julienned sweet peppers, lime juice, S &P and EVOO. Excellent!
I saw this recipe the other day when flipping through daytime TV. I couldn't find the recipe so I made mine the best I could from memory (I posted the original recipe below). I pretty much got things right but I did not do the garnish as 1) I don't eat red meat and 2) I had no sour cream. I did buy some turkey "bacon" and may try these again tomorrow with some of that cooked to be crispy and prosciutto-like. A really delicious way to eat your veggies!
Courtesy of: Chuck's Day Off - Episode: The Bro Show
Ingredients and Prep:
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 3 firm ripe tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Dollop of butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- A dollop of sour cream
- 3 slices prosciutto, fried till crisp
- A few sprigs of chives, finely chopped
- Cut tomatoes into ½ inch slices.
- Sprinkle with coarse salt & cracked black pepper.
- Place flour, eggs, and crumbs in separate shallow bowls.
- Heat oil with a dollop of butter in a medium skillet on medium heat.
- Dip tomato slices in flour, then eggs, then crumbs.
- In the pan fry half the coated slices at a time for about 3 to 4 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Bread and cook remaining tomatoes.
- Remove to a serving tray. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream, crumbled crisp prosciutto and a sprinkle of minced, fresh chives.
Wednesday, July 8, 2009
I had a craving for seafood cannelloni today...but with no recipe and a cranky 8 week old baby to tend to I created this one as I went along. The turnout was quite good so I decided to get back into the swing of things and finally post a new better than takeout recipe!
The ingredients are simple and things have to be these days with a young one to manage and much less time than I had before...
Ingredients & Prep:
- 1 box of oven ready cannelloni pasta (you may not use all of them)
- 1 bag of small peeled and cooked shrimp (use 1/2)
- 1 package of "crab" aka crab flavour pollock (use 1/2)
- 1 can of flaked pacific salmon
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 jars Alfredo pasta sauce
- 3 tbsps flour
- 2 green onions diced
- 1/2 fresh lemon (juice)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese for topping
Prep your casserole dish for cannelloni. Fill each pasta shell with mixture (once cooled) and arrange in dish as per instructions for your specific pasta. Add the remaining pasta sauce on top and Parmesan for topping.
Bake as per instructions on your pasta box.
Serve with fresh bread and a green salad!