Thursday, July 10, 2008

Cheesy Cauliflower Gratin


Wow. I never would have believed it but my husband has managed to amaze me with this one. He has claimed that this VEGETABLE recipe is now firmly planted on his top 5 list for favorite meals. Admittedly, this dish is so delicious that you completely forget it is cauliflower, but I am still quite shocked!

In my continued effort to not eat meat (again, a post is needed for this - soon, soon!), I am trying some new ideas at the dinner table. I saw this recipe on French Food at Home, with the ever delightful Laura Calder, before our vacation and vowed to try it when we got back. The episode was "Truckstop French". I changed a couple of things just slightly. The results? Amazing comfort food.

Link here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauliflower for everything you don't know about cauliflower.

Ingredients & Preparation: (from Laura Calder's French Food at Home, Food Network TV)
Serves 4 as a side
  • 1 1/2 cups milk (I used skim and it was perfect)
  • 1 x bay leaf (I used 3 as they were a bit old and not very fresh)
  • 1 clove garlic split
  • 3 tbsp butter
  • 3 tbsp flour
  • 1/2 cup grated gruyère cheese (I used extra old white cheddar and mozzarella)
  • Sea salt and pepper to taste (I used white pepper - love the flavour)
  • 1 lb. cauliflower florettes
  • 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (I used Japanese panko crumbs instead - excellent!)
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Make the sauce: Bring the milk to a simmer in a saucepan with the bay leaf and garlic. Cover, turn off the heat, and let infuse, about 15 minutes. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook for a minute to remove the raw flour taste. Gradually whisk in the milk. Cook, stirring, until thick. Stir in the cheese, season with salt and pepper, and reserve.

Heat the oven to 425°F/210°C. Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Salt it, as for pasta, and blanch cauliflower until just shy of being tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well. Pat dry with a tea-towel. Season with salt and pepper. Toss with the sauce and dump into a gratin dish. Scatter over the breadcrumbs (or panko) and Parmesan and bake until bubbling and gratinéed on top.

I served the gratin with some Indian-inspired lentils and a green salad. Supreme!



1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

That looks fabulous! Thanks for sharing :)