It's time to start making your own tomato sauce - nothing tastes better except (maybe) for Nonna's! This is a very standard recipe and you can add / delete ingredients to suit your meal.
The following instructions will take you from this:
Ingredients & Preparation:
Makes about 6 cups
- 2 x 28oz cans of whole, organic plum tomatoes - if using fresh plum tomatoes I would guess you need about 8 cups once they are chopped up.
- a handful of fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, halved
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tbsp of fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/2 tsp of hot chili flakes (add more if you like it spicy!)
- 1 or 2 tsp of salt
In a food processor or blender, whiz up your tomatoes until smooth. Put them in a large pot. Add all your other ingredients. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to med-low. Cook for 1.5-2 hours or until the sauce reduces and is thickened. SO Easy!!
Add other ingredients to change it up...green peppers, roasted red peppers, different herbs, mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, fennel, spinach or some red wine.
Simmering on the stove at about the 20 minute mark. You will notice the sauce start to thicken as time goes on...