Thursday, August 14, 2008

Warm Lentil Salad - a super speedy vegetarian lunch


I thought I would post here about my latest craving to break up the pasta recipes (stay tuned - 2 more to come).
Lentils. What a delicious little thing a lentil is...full of protein, fibre, wholesome goodness. Find out more about the lovely lentil here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lentil

Here is a very simple idea that has been both lunch and dinner in the last 24 hours.
Ingredients & Preparation: (no actual recipe was consulted in the making of this meal, just bare cupboard desperation!)
Serves 1 hungry gal

  • 1/2 can of quality lentils, drained
  • 2-3 handfuls of chopped fresh spinach, or frozen if that's what you have on hand
  • 1 tbsp of sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
  • 1-2 tbsp feta cheese on top

Warm up the lentils in either the microwave or on the stove. Add in the spinach, cook until it is soft and wilty. Toss in the tomatoes. Serve in a bowl and top with feta.

A delicious, filling vegetarian meal for one (multiply recipe by 2 for 2 people and so on). Serve with greens if you are feeling sporty!

PS - the picture is not of my actual meal (you will not see any sun-dried tomatoes), but it is a pretty good replica from http://seasonalontariofood.blogspot.com/.

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I need to cook more with lentils - this looks great!

Anonymous said...

This looks delish! I will have to try it. I came across your blog website at work! Somebody posted it on one of our email "forums". So glad they did! I think we are from the same city! Check out my blog to see if you recognize any "landmarks". kristaskravings.blogspot.com
Keep up the great work!